Friday, January 4, 2013

Baby Food!!

So with baby #3 I am making the effort to save a little money and make my own baby food.  Why I didn't do this for the first 2 is beyond me because it is so easy and saves a ton of money with minimal investment.  So I put on my Christmas list a couple baby food making essentials, browsed the web on how to make things, borrowed a cookbook and BAM - baby food!
Green Beans were my vegetable of choice to start with for Ms. Emma.  So what you see is my pureed 1 oz servings all packaged up and ready to be frozen.  Out of a bag and a half of frozen green beans I got about 50 1 oz servings.  A 2-pack of Gerber baby 1st foods from Toys r us costs $1.29, I probably spent $5 on green beans so on average saved between $10-$15 depending on how much we feed Emma at a time.  I should have read if my silicone trays were 1 or 2 oz servings before I threw away the wrapper, but I think they are 1 oz.  So easy to pop out and we just bag them in freezer bags and pull out a cube or two to defrost for dinner the next day.  We'll be able to mix them up with other "flavors" later as well.  Carrots and peas are next with some sweet potatoes not far behind.

Survey says:
"Yummy!  I like to eat."

All gone!!


I'll have to admit, I did a little party dance when I popped them out of the trays because they look so cool.  Tim was even impressed.  Half a bag went to day care this morning for Emma to enjoy.  I'm excited for carrots tonight!!




1 comment:

Leann said...

I'm very proud of you Ann! Everyone here makes their own baby food and it's really hard to find in the stores. But I still bought it...maybe you will motivate me this time around to make my own! :)