Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Making Pears

After fighting the funk for a couple of days I decided it was time to get off my butt and do something with those pears that have been sitting in my fridge for over a week...
This was 5 of the 10 I used.  Not knowing how large of a batch it would make I thought I would start with just half.

I had Googled to see if you could use an Apple Peeler/Corer on pears and it said you could - and they were mistaken.  That did not work out at all.  Pears don't fit that well to start with, then once it reaches the peeler it just falls off the prongs.  Never made it to the corer part.  So I reverted back to the good ol' potatoe peeler and apple corer.
Note to self next time:  peeled pears are slippery!  Gracie ended up getting a few slices.
Then I just cut them up and put them in the pot (no water added) and cooked them on med low (4 on the dial) for about 15-20 minutes and stirred every now and then.  They eventually came to a boil and had accumulated a lot of liquid when cooking.  Dumped the whole thing in the blender and it blended up smoothly.
Survey says:
Ann:  sweeter than apples and smoother
Abby:  "Can I have some too?"
Megan:  "I just want some applesauce."
Emma:  Mouth was open wide for all the bites, I think she likes it better than apples
Tim:  "You didn't leave any more met to try?"

So a bad of 10 pears made about 50 1 oz servings in addition to 3 2 oz serving containers.  I have misplaced the receipt in all my organization - which means it's probably been shredded but I think it was less than $6 for the bag, it came from Sam's Club.

Now that we have gotten through the main starters I will be adding Avocado, Corn, and Zucchini to the mix.  Plus have to bring back some favorites.   Tim has a request for more butternut squash and that mixes well with everything.

No comments: