Monday, October 3, 2011

Applesauce & A Few Other Pics

October is here!! There are so many things I love about this month. The cooler weather, changing colors, burning leaves smell.....I could go on and on. However this first weekend of October was dedicated mostly to APPLES. Last week I bragged on our trip to the apple orchard - well this weekend we needed to do something with all those apples, and did we!


Yep - it's just a pie, and not as pretty as the one I made last week but still tastes so good! It's a mix a Mutsu and Jonagold apples and Abby's comment was "Best Pie Ever!" - which made my heart melt as she is a picky eater.




Here is a wonderful picture of me canning applesauce. One other thing about October is it's Breast Cancer Awareness month - so I'm sporting my pink shirt in support! Tim managed to snap this picture.


Here's my first helper of the afternoon. Megan could rock the foley mill! She was all about it, and as long as you held the bowl in place she did just fine. Although her enthusiasm would come and go to help, she had fun.

We moved the operations outside as we needed more burners for keeping the applesauce warm and canning. This year we used the turkey fryer to cook our stock pot and canning pot on (don't worry I didn't actually use the turkey fryer pot - I don't like my applesauce with a hint of turkey). It was a pretty good idea and helped with the process - plus with the size of the canning pot my stove didn't handle it that well last year. Next year we'll see if we can borrow the neighbors to help the process. Abby's taking a crank at the applesauce - her help was limited this year.


Random photo - this was Abby's first birthday party from someone not in daycare. So that meant no invite for the Meggers (insert drama and fit here). Thankfully Megan went down for a nap and we sneaked out of the house. She wasn't that happy about it - but got to go fishing as a compromise.

The finished product of all of our labors (about 5 hours worth) - 11 quarts and 12 pints - last year we only made 6 quarts so you can imagine how many more apples we had this year! Even with all the sampling :). We have a small sample in the fridge for dinner as well. If I can keep the kids/Tim out if it until then.


We had to check in on the Slenker's on Friday night - the kids can't share a toy but they can all share a chair!!


This past week I was in Las Vegas for a conference and just wanted to share a few photos. Conveniently the conference ended at 4 PM each day so I got plenty of time to walk around. I always love the Conservatory at the Bellagio with their natural garden sculptures.

In honor of October/Fall - there was some blurb about the amount of carnations in that pumpkin on the right but I don't remember the exact number - it was A LOT!

Then of course the fountains. I was actually leaving the hotel so this is from the back of the fountains - a different view, but still amazing.


And last but not least - another Abby dove hunting photo. Yes she is actually holding the doves! I was pretty surprised to get this photo from Tim as you wouldn't really see me holding dead birds but Abby was all about it and I got a detailed version of the whole process and how she wasn't scared and you hold them from the legs or the wing because Daddy shot the head......I'll let you imagine the rest. Tim was thrilled though and Abby can't wait for deer season.

I'm definitely glad to be back home from my trip. With the time change, delayed flights/diversions it made it seem a lot longer than it really was. Home Sweet Home.

No comments: