Monday, February 7, 2011

Week of Snow - and finally a snowman!

This week of snow has been quite an event. It was a lot of "quality time" with the girls since we couldn't go anywhere, but we survived, and truly it wasn't that bad. Tim finally made it home from Shreveport, LA on Saturday evening due to his weather dilemmas. He got home and promptly decided we could make a snowman.


Megan was excited about big clumps of snow.


Abby was too, as they were snowballs.

Then Megan decided she should be eating the snow.....

You can see how high our snow is piled up, and some of it has melted already!



Here's Tim hard at work on the bottom snowball. You couldn't roll the snow, so he shoveled it.


"But Daddy, we want to make a snow castle!"

Abby was trying to make a snow angel, but due to the sun and snow melting then freezing she wasn't heavy enough to break the ice.

Yep - that is the top of our mailbox.

The finished product - yes it's a girlie snowman of course.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Redeker family. Ernie Redeker - our long time neighbor at my parents house passed away this past Friday. I have many memories of Ernie.

3 comments:

hurricane said...

Thank you for this nice note about my grandpa. Your parents have been the greatest neighbors my grandparents could have asked for. I know my Grandpa shared a special bond with your brother as well. We were talking about when your brother got his new mustang convertible and made a point to take my grandpa for a ride.

Andrew Papke said...

I have so many great memories with Mr. Redeker. Some, only he could remind me about. :) I don't know how old I was, but he always shared the time that I sat on the railroad tie and watched him mow the yard. I had to point out the property line and make sure he didn't mow where he wasn't supposed to!

Another time we shared was when he was able to come to my junior-high school and do a presentation for my class on his occupation.

The mustang, however, was a high point for me. He let me take ER1 out for my senior prom, so it was only right we go for a ride. I even got to help him out with hooking up his new entertainment system in the basement. We had to crank it up just to make sure it worked ok. :)

The memories will last a lifetime. He will be greatly missed.

hurricane said...

Andrew, you should feel really special about the bond you two shared. My grandpa never let any of us grandkids drive ER1 even though we all asked. It wasn't until after his nice black shiny car was sold that we all found out you got the opportunity.
Grandpa always talked about the property line mowing situation, he always laugh about it. He told me that you made it very clear he couldn't mow your yard and you stood there to make sure he didn't. He treasured the memories that you two shared, he talked about it a lot. He talked about you like you were one of his own kids.